Opemipo Jaji: Alleged schoolgirl rapist ‘attacked before’

 

10/Apr/2013

Source: bbc.co.uk

A teenager accused of raping an 11-year-old girl in a park had attacked another schoolgirl a year before, a court has been told.

Opemipo Jaji, 18, admitted sexually assaulting and robbing the girl in 2011, the Old Bailey heard.

He is on trial accused of raping a girl after following her home from school on a bus and dragging her into a park in Enfield, north London, last November.

Mr Jaji, of Edmonton, denies rape.

He followed the girl, dragged her into Jubilee Park and subjected her to a three-hour ordeal, the Old Bailey heard.

Her glove had been stuffed in her mouth and she had been stripped and assaulted.

DNA in park

The girl ran home dishevelled and bleeding and later underwent surgery for her injuries, the court heard.

Mr Jaji said he was not the attacker, although he was on the same bus.

He claimed her DNA found on his bag, trainer shoe and the waistband of his boxer shorts was from when he went into the park later that evening, the jury heard.

But Rosina Cottage, QC, prosecuting, said it was “not a coincidence” that Mr Jaji had sexually assaulted and robbed a girl before.

Miss Cottage said a tie had been placed in that girl’s mouth by Mr Jaji.

She added: “He had an interest in pre-pubescent girls and sexual acts with pre-pubescent girls.”

Mr Jaji had been arrested a few days later after CCTV was viewed, and his bedroom searched.

A book about a little girl being sexually assaulted was found, along with adverts for child care vacancies and a picture of a little girl in Australia marked FC – a possible reference to Facebook, the court heard.

There was also an article about missing schoolgirl April Jones.

‘Dishevelled and panicky’

The court was told the alleged victim had caught a bus in Enfield Town with her friend at 16:30 GMT.

Miss Cottage said: “She got on the bus with her friend and they were giggling and chatting.

“Also on the bus was a young male, the defendant. He watched her get off the bus and followed her.

“He dragged her into a local park in the dark and raped her. She ran home bleeding and injured. Her blood and DNA were found on his clothes and bag.”

Miss Cottage said the girl had been expected home by 17:00 GMT and her parents rang police by 17:30 after she failed to turn up.

The girl appeared at 20:00 “dishevelled, dirty and panicky”.

“She had a crop-top bra in her hand and said she had been attacked,” Miss Cottage said.

The girl said her attacker “had kept making fists and cracking his knuckles”.

She said when they were in the park, he kept asking for her phone – which she did not have – her Oyster travel card and her keys.

At one point, he threatened to stab her if she moved and caught her when she tried to run away, the jury was told.

He had also threatened to film her and send copies to children at her school, she said.

The trial was adjourned until Thursday.

 

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22099879


‘Rape’ trial brothers won’t give evidence

 

28/March/2013

Source : oxfordmail.co.uk

TWO brothers accused of raping and prostituting underage girls will not take the stand at the Old Bailey to defend themselves.

Akhtar and Anjum Dogar are accused of running a child sex exploitation gang in Oxford and are facing a jury in London with seven other defendants.

The first suspect to take the witness stand, married dad-of-three Kamar Jamil, finished his evidence yesterday.

But when it came to hear defence cases for the Dogar brothers, no evidence was put forward by their lawyers.

 Barrister Andrew Jefferies told the London court: “I do not call any evidence on behalf of Akhtar Dogar.”

And Lee Karu said: “On behalf of Mr Anjum Dogar we call no evidence.”

Akhtar, 32, denies five rapes and Anjum denies three. The brothers, of Tawney Street, also each deny three charges of conspiracy to rape, two of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, and one of trafficking for sexual exploitation.

The crimes are said to have been committed between 2004 and 2008 against complainants known as Girl 1 and 3 aged between 13 and 15, and Girl 2 when she was 14.

Finishing his evidence, 27-year-old Jamil said he had found it “really hard” as he had trouble expressing himself during the trial.

Wearing a white shirt with a black tie, he told the court: “I seriously do not know these girls.”

And he told the jury: “I had to push myself to say my side.

“I’m trying my best to let the jury know but I am not sure if I have done well.

“But I feel better that I have come out here.”

Prosecutor Noel Lucas said four witnesses had identified him as someone who was often with the Dogar brothers. He said: “In reality Mr Jamil, four different girls have all remembered you, named you, identified you, and linked you to the Dogars.

“Can you think of any reason why these four girls should, quite independently of each other, attribute sexual contact to you if you were not in anyway involved?”

Jamil said: “I have done nothing to these girls.”

The Tesco security guard said he had responded to police questions with “no comment” when arrested last March on the advice on his solicitors.

And he told the jury he could not remember some details about his life because it was so long ago, adding: “I am trying my best.”

All nine defendants deny all 66 charges against them.

The trial will continue on Wednesday.